The Wolds Road Trip
Lincolnshire's best kept secret
This road trip is suitable for both independent travellers and groups.
If you’re organising a group visit, please contact Caistor Town Council to discuss your individual needs. Refreshments, bus parking and a local guide can all be arranged to make this a memorable day out.
Call 01472 851679 or email WoldsRoadTrip@gmail.com
PLEASE NOTE: This map is only a
rough guide. For detailed directions and more
information please email WoldsRoadTrip@gmail.com
1. Caistor Market Place
The northern gateway to the Lincolnshire Wolds, Caistor is a pretty Georgian market town, having regularly won Best Kept Small Market Town and In Bloom competitions in recent years. Originally the site of a Roman camp, it has a wealth of conserved buildings and a rich history. Visit the Arts & Heritage Centre or book on a guided walk to learn more.
Nettleton nestles in the Lincolnshire Wolds’ Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The village has many ironstone cottages built from stone quarried from the now disused local mines. The Viking Way, a long distance footpath runs through the village and the walk along the Nettleton Valley was voted 12th best walk in The Times country walk list 2014.
3. Hill top views
After a steep climb up Normanby Hill, (who said Lincolnshire was flat?), you will be well rewarded with a spectacular view over the Lincolnshire countryside, as far as the Humber bridge to the north, the Trent Valley to the west and Lincoln Cathedral and the Fens to the south. Stop at the Ramblers’ car park half way up to learn more about the area.
4. Ramblers’ Church, Walesby
All Saints, also known as the Ramblers’ Church stands in solitary dignity on Walesby escarpment overlooking the village of Walesby. Although no longer the parish church, All Saints is still used and the ever popular, and always well attended, annual Candlelight Carol Service is held in December. Before dawn on Easter Sunday, hardy souls walk up the ancient track to attend the traditional dawn service.
Tealby is often described as ‘the prettiest village in Lincolnshire’. The village’s stone cottages sit astride the tumbling upper reaches of the river Rase, which centuries ago powered water mills, one still in existence, for milling and paper making. Visit the parish church to check out the village’s connection to the poet Tennyson.
6. Kirmond le Mire
A very small village which has a Grade 11 listed Church, St Martins. The parish also includes the lost medieval settlement of Beckfield.
7. Binbrook & Brookenby
Now a village, until the 1900s, Binbrook was a small market town. The parish of Binbrook contains the site of the lost medieval village of Orford, the site of a priory of Premonstratensian nuns. This priory was destroyed during the Reformation during the reign of Henry VIII.
Nearby Brookenby is the site of former RAF Binbrook, opened as a Bomber Command station during the Second World War, home to No. 12 Squadron RAF until 1942. After installation of three concrete runways, it reopened in 1943 as home to No. 460 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force.
Rothwell is a small village with a medieval church and pub, The Blacksmith’s Arms (formerly the Nickerson Arms), which served as a hostelry for all those that worked for the local landowner, Sir Joseph Nickerson. Sir Joseph was the owner of Nickerson Seeds, now Limagrain, and he was one of the most important agriculturalists of the modern day.